Thursday, September 25, 2014

Five minute Friday: REACH

I recently finished a book called The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. Without giving away the whole story, I will say that much of it was about the main character, Alma, and a kind of happiness that seemed to be eternally out of her reach. Despite her best intentions, it simply was never to be.

As my kids have started yet another year in full-day school, I have begun slowly reaching toward my professional self. She has lain dormant for many years and I'm having a hard time finding her. Not feeling completely fulfilled to stay home all day and cook and clean, however, I do know that she exists. Of course she is hesitant to come out after so long and I've been indulging her reticence. However, that desire to reach for new professional heights nudges me along every so often.

I have searched in vain for my features clips these past months, and that has held me back from making any real moves. However, just a couple of weeks ago Zach accidentally stumbled upon my clips when I was a stringer for the Courier-Post so many years ago. I was at first filled with excitement that they had been found, and of course followed up quickly by trepidation. Now is the time. I began scanning articles and am preparing to apply for some freelance positions. It may be extremely slow and almost tedious, but I am reaching. I'm getting there.

No comments: