Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Five minute Tuesday: lost

I've been looking for a job. Not in your typical pounding-the-pavement, trolling monster.com, reaching out to LinkedIn members every morning kind of way, but in more of a relaxed sort of "let's see what's out there" kind of search. In fact, search may be too strong a word to use in this case.

We have a lot that needs to be done on this house, but it's not even so much about money. I need a little direction in life. You don't often hear about the lull that takes place when you're a stay-at-home parent and the kids are in full-time school. You feel a little lost. There is a big flurry of life events that take place one after another for a while there - you get engaged, you get married, you get pregnant or adopt a child, there are milestone party celebrations of one kind or another all along the way. Then, for some years, you've got your hands full with babies and toddlers. And when that ends... you suddenly feel lost.

What to do? Well, look for a job, of course. Not so much a job as a career. No offense to those who do, but I'm not simply looking for a 9-5 (or 9-2, or whatever would fit in to the kids' school schedule) job to fill my time and bring in some cash. I have my degree, I have some experience and I want to use it to be a writer or an editor again. It's getting out there that's so terrifying. It's scary, but maybe I'll finally have some sense of direction.

No comments: