Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Five minute Friday (in theory): release

When summer begins, most people, I think, tend to see it as a time of freedom. More freedom from schedules, as a release from the day-to-day drudgery when their summer vacation rolls around. I suppose if you're accustomed to working every day throughout the year and are anticipating easier summer days with reduced hours, maybe short Fridays, and a long vacation away, then summer is a form of release. For a stay-at-home mom, however, it is viewed quite differently. Freedom ends.

For people who relish in the challenge, in the daily adventures of life at home with kids, those who are excited for day trips, play dates, and time at the pool, this is fun. Some people even look forward to it. I, unfortunately, am not one of those people. As a type B personality, I'm quite content to hang out at home and, often, do nothing. I have to get myself motivated to get out there and do something. If I can check off 2 or 3 items that I've accomplished at the end of a week that involve getting out of the house then I consider it a successful week.

So, while summer may be a time of reduced freedom for me, I'm going to try and enjoy my time with the kids. I know these years are fleeting and one day I'll look back and wish we had had more summertime adventures. I'll do my best to make some fun memories for them (and for me). And then, in September, comes my release.

No comments: