Friday, April 4, 2014

Five minute Friday - April 4

This week's prompt from http://lisajobaker.com/five-minute-friday/ is "writer."

And I'm only supposed to take 5 minutes?

Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be a writer. This of course does not include the "I want to be a nurse" proclamation as a young child, the veterinarian thing (until I found out that vets also put animals to sleep), and the ballerina thing that was too off-again on-again to be a true dancer.

When I was about 12 years old, I was writing a book. The book, strangely enough, was about a 12-year-old girl who liked doing the exact same things as I did. She probably looked the same, too - I can't remember. I got up to about 15 chapters, all about 1 1/2 pages or so in length, until I decided it was horrible and threw the whole thing away.

Oh, how I wish I hadn't done that! First of all, what a kick it would be to go back to that now and see it. But also... hey, what if what was the ONE? The seed for my great novel that somehow has gone unwritten all of these years?

But yes, I did become a writer. I was a newspaper writer, covering town council meetings and BOE snoozefests. Oh, and that one time I contributed to the piece about a mall shooting that ended up winning a NJPA award. I wrote for a soap opera magazine, which wasn't quite as fun as it sounds. I wrote for medical journals, which pretty much wasn't fun at all. :)

I am a writer, and a published one, but the book still eludes me. When will that great idea come to me? Or did I trash it at 12 years old? I sure hope not.

No comments: