Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Five minute Friday: April 25, 2014

Five minute Friday was... 4 days ago. I think it's time for me to come up with a new title, maybe?

What's another "f" word that could come after "five minute"? No, not THAT one. Anyway...

This (or last) week's word is "friend."

When I was younger, I wanted more friends. More specifically, I was worried about being popular. Of course, now I know that being popular really has nothing to do with having friends. Not good ones, anyway. That's more about quantity than quality.

Being a shy child, making lots of friends did not come easily to me. It was hard for me to reach out to others and make new friendships or cultivate casual ones that I already had in school. I always wondered what was wrong with me that I didn't have a whole big bunch of friends like I thought I was supposed to.

As I got older, I became less concerned with how many friends I had and contemplated more often just how important the ones I had were. But even then, it proved difficult each time I changed jobs or moved. My good "old" friends were always there, but making new ones still eluded me.

Now that we've been living here for several years, I have found myself with more friends - good ones - than probably ever before. Turns out whoever said that "once you stop looking for it, it will come" kinda knew what they were talking about. I've made a few good friends, and I look forward to getting to know the more casual acquaintances I have even better. I'm just happy that I stopped worrying about making friends and began enjoying the ones I had (some without even realizing they had turned into friendships).

I always knew I was a catch.

No comments: